The Global Coalition for Green Schools unites groups around the world working to make their schools healthy and sustainable, ensuring that every child has the opportunity to learn in a green school.
Launched in 2013 by the Center for Green Schools and the World Green Building Council (WGBC), the Coalition brings together 23 member organizations across 22 countries committed to pursuing a shared global vision: green schools for all within this generation.
Schools vary widely from country to country, and so do their needs. Our members understand the challenges and opportunities in their communities best, and are united in their support of the three pillars that make a green school: reducing environmental impact, supporting occupant health and wellness and educating for environmental and sustainability literacy.
Global Coalition members
- Argentina: Argentina Green Building Council
- Australia: Green Building Council Australia
- Brazil: Green Building Council Brazil
- Canada: Canada Green Building Council
- Chile: Chile Green Building Council
- Colombia: Consejo Colombiano de Construcción Sostenible (CCCS)
- Croatia: Croatia Green Building Council; Eco-logic Systems d.o.o
- Egypt: Green Building Council of Egypt
- Emirates: Emirates Green Building Council
- Ghana: Ghana Green Building Council
- Israel: Israeli Green Building Council
- Italy: Green Building Council Italia
- Jordan: Jordan Green Building Council
- Kenya: Kenya Green Building Society
- Lebanon: EcoSolutions
- Mauritius: Green Building Council Mauritius
- Mexico: Sustentabilidad para Mexico (SUMe)
- Panama: Panama Green Building Council
- Peru: Peru Green Building Council
- Senegal: SENECO
- Singapore: SG100 Foundation
- Turkey: Turkish Green Building Council (CEDBIK)
Each member organization is dedicated to addressing issues that they have noticed in their countries’ schools. Through collaboration with community members, universities, non-profits, government, and the private sector, they are well-positioned to drive their respective green schools movements forward.
The Coalition develops best practices and resources, and introduces programs, initiatives and campaigns that can be replicated around the world. By sharing information and highlighting how sustainability can be woven into school infrastructure, culture, and curriculum, we are taking joint action to foster the ideals of green schools internationally.