The Center for Green Schools at USGBC has a vision that every school can be an inspiring, healthy, green place where teachers and students thrive and where every student has the chance to succeed. One way we realize this vision is through our annual School District Scholarship, which provides professional development, targeted education and technical support for staff members who are currently undertaking sustainability work across their district.
The 2017–2018 School District Scholarship application is open through August 4, 2017.
- Travel, lodging and attendance for the scholar and one colleague at the 2018 Green Schools Conference
- Travel, lodging and attendance for the scholar at the annual summit for School Sustainability Leaders (hosted in conjunction with the Green Schools Conference)
- Travel, lodging and attendance for the scholar at the 2017 Greenbuild International Conference and Expo
- Ongoing training through personal and small group coaching
- Limited complimentary year-long access to several school resources from USGBC, including Learning Lab, the Green Classroom Professional Certificate, and LEED Coach for school projects
The School District Scholarship is available to school systems of all sizes, but to qualify, school districts must have a current staff person who spends a minimum of 50 percent of their time on sustainability-related efforts. To determine if staff time is currently dedicated to sustainability, follow the definition of green schools described in the “three pillars”: reduced environmental impact, positive impact on student and teacher health and improved environmental literacy.
The application includes a required signed letter from school district leadership that includes 1) support for specific sustainability activities at the school district; 2) support for a named staff person to spend at least 50 percent of their time on sustainability-related initiatives during the scholarship year; and 3) support for the professional development time during which this staff person will be participating with the Center for Green Schools for the scholarship year.
Up to five districts will be selected for the 2017–2018 cohort.
Learn more and apply
You can learn more about the School District Scholarship by reading about two of our past scholarship recipients from Albemarle County Public Schools and Detroit Public Schools. If you find this opportunity a good fit for your district, use our one-page overview to talk with your district leadership about the program. Please complete the application by Fri., August 4, 2017.
We look forward to working with the next cohort of scholars to accomplish your sustainability goals, connect you to new resources and opportunities and share your stories with others across the country.